This is a super easy herbal honey recipe that is great for an after-dinner treat. Just top a piece of toast or cracker with this honey to help with digestion. (note: this is technically called an electuary because you are putting dried herbs into honey and leaving it there)
Here are a few other herbal honey ideas:
- Ginger & Cinnamon
- Rose Hips & Orange Peel
- Lavender & Lemon Balm
- Garlic honey (great to use in a hot beverage with fresh squeezed lemon juice when battling illness)
When I make herbal honey I like to make a little at a time so we are sure to use it. If you use a lot of honey at your house you may want to double or triple the recipe.
- 2 Tablespoons dried, powdered herbs
- 1/2 cup local, raw honey
- Jar with lid
- Small pot with canning jar rings to keep jar away from direct heat
- fill pot with water that will be below the level of the jar and bring to a simmer
- put honey in jar
- put jar in simmering water
- warm honey until it is thin
- remove jar and add herbs, stir well
- allow to cool then cover.
- You can use it right away or allow it to sit for a couple of weeks before using.
- if you want you can strain the herbs out, heat the honey again and strain through cheesecloth. I just keep the herbs in the honey and use it that way.