A much-maligned and under-utilized flavor especially in the U.S.
Incorporating things like kale, dandelion greens, mustard greens, collard greens, etc. into your diet is a great idea. You can use these greens to make a tasty appetizer salad topped with homemade herbal vinegar and oil dressing.
But you can also have a fun time gathering a few friends and creating your own bitter extract
Benefits of bitters:
- stimulate digestive enzymes and stomach acids
- increase peristalsis
- encourage salivation
- generally prepare your body for eating
- grounding, bringing you to the present moment (especially if they are really bitter), snatching your thoughts away from things that could be stressful and therefore helping you get into the relaxed state needed to digest your food well.
This recipe includes both bitters and aromatics.
Benefits of Aromatics
- help with taste (but don’t cover the bitter taste completely!)
- are stimulating
- are warming to increase blood flow
- depending on which ones you use, can help with gas, stomach upset, or nausea
For the full recipe PDF sign up for my free Herbal Content
2-5 drops 15-20 minutes before eating. Or 2-3 sprays if you are using a small spray bottle